We’ve already discussed how to best prevent mold and how to know whether your home has mold or not, but we felt one important topic still needs to be discussed: Why is mold so bad? As the premier mold remediation company in Seaside Heights, NJ, and the surrounding areas, we make a big deal about mold removal and warning our customers about its health risks and other dangers, and we do that for a good reason. So here’s a short introduction to the possible side-effects and concerns that come with having mold in your home.

Mold is Toxic

Most of toxic mold is, in fact, invisible to the naked eye. That means a house with a mold problem can have toxic mold swirling around without anyone noticing it for a long time. That’s why it’s important to periodically make sure your house hasn’t been exposed to mold. At its mildest, being exposed to mold can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing, headaches and wheezing. Anyone with allergies, asthma or chronic lung illnesses can suffer extreme side-effects. There’s also evidence to suggest exposure to mold may cause respiratory illnesses and the development of asthma. Some toxic molds have been suggested to cause acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage in infants, as well as lethargy and memory loss, but there has not been enough research to prove this definitively.

A recent study also suggests that it’s likely there is a link between exposure to high levels of toxic mold and depression. In the Brown University research from 2007, the scientists found that for residents living in visibly damp and moldy households, the risk for depression was 34-44% higher. In general, there is a need for more research on the health effects of mold but it can be said for certain that it is not good for anyone to be exposed to it regularly.

Mold Can Affect Your House Value

Depending on the level of the mold problem in your house, it can have a drastic effect on its value. That’s why it’s important to act fast when there is any inclination of water damage, so that it can be controlled and removed before it leads to a bad mold problem. The worst case scenario is, if your house has extensive mold and water damage, it can lead to the house only being worth the property it’s on. In the mildest cases, a buyer would require a mold removal – paid by you, of course – before committing to buying the house at the given rate. There’s a wide range of circumstances between these two extremes but the most important thing to remember is that water and mold damage do affect your property value, which is why you need to check your house regularly and act immediately if there is any reason to suspect water or mold damage.