The types of mold commonly found in homes

Mold is a simple microscopic organism that can grow virtually anywhere. The fungus thrives in warm, moist locations like bathrooms and in areas where precipitation can accumulate indoors, including attics and basements. Depending upon the type of mold, the spores can cause a variety of health problems. The risk from exposure can vary significantly depending upon the health of the person and the type of mold present. There are four varieties frequently found indoors.


Aspergillus is commonly found on food and in air conditioning units. The fungus is usually green, but it can also be dark gray or black. When the spores are inhaled, they can cause allergic reactions and respiratory infections. Individuals may also suffer from hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a medical condition that causes inflammation of the lungs.


Cladosporium is dark green or black in appearance. Although it thrives in warmer climates, Cladosporium has been identified in cooler areas. It is typically found behind toilet tanks as well as on painted surfaces and fiberglass air ducts. This type of mold also lives in damp carpets, on wood walls and moist furnishings. While it is considered nontoxic, Cladosporium can cause symptoms in allergy-prone individuals and others with compromised immune systems. Symptoms may include rashes and respiratory problems.


Usually blue or green in color, Penicillium thrives in water-damaged areas, including carpets, wallpaper and insulation. It also flourishes in waterlogged furnishings like couches and mattresses. This type of mold can readily spread throughout interior spaces, so it is much harder to remove. Penicillium can cause allergic reactions along with respiratory problems like chronic sinus infections and inflamed lungs.

Stachybotrys Chartarum

Stachybotrys chartarumi, first identified in 1837, is a slimy, black fungus with a distinctive musty odor often associated with mold damage. In addition to air conditioning ductwork and other locations that experience high levels of condensation, this type of mold thrives in wet locations around leaky pipes. Although the mold is not toxic, it produces mycotoxins that pose a health risk. As a result, the mold is considered hazardous to people and their pets. Stachybotrys chartarum can cause allergic reactions, including respiratory problems like asthma and sinus infections.

Do you have mold in your home?

Regardless of the type of mold present in your house, it should be treated as a potential health hazard and removed from your home as soon as possible. Our experienced technicians use environmentally friendly, state-of-the-art technology to remove the mold safely. For peace of mind, call Flood and Mold NJ for an inspection to ensure that your property is safe. If you have water damage or visible mold, we provide cleanup services. Contact our team for more information and a free, no-obligation quote.

When you call Flood and Mold NJ with for help with mold, know that you are in the hands of one of the foremost experts on the topic.

Scroll to Top