Mold is part of nature but can be disastrous to your health when left untreated in your home. There are many different types of mold, and some types are toxic. It is important to know the signs of mold, how to prevent it and what to do when you find it growing in your home.
Most people see the obvious sign, which is mold growth on a surface. However, mold is not always out in the open. Keep these important tips in mind:
Mold starts out as spores, and these spores exist everywhere. To turn into mold, the spores need nutrients, moisture and time. The spores can find nutrients in rotting building materials, textiles and many other household items. Moisture from rain, leaking pipes or other sources of water makes the equation viable, and time completes it. Unfortunately, time is what makes the problem spread when the other two factors are met, and many people are not aware of the mold problem until it grows out of control.
Toxic mold can cause respiratory problems and even severe allergic reactions. Some people may have allergic reactions to mold that is not toxic. Mold can also cause home occupants to get headaches and feel fatigued or ill when it grows in HVAC systems. As the mold grows and spreads, it can penetrate carpets, drywall and wood. This often means that homeowners have to replace these items to get rid of the mold. Also, mold is hard to get under control once it has spread behind the walls or in hard-to-reach places such as under the roof. Remediation is a solution but can be expensive.
The best protection against mold is vigilance. When any color of mold is sighted, find the source. Clean the area thoroughly. Eliminate the moisture or nutrient source. Fix leaky pipes, keep roofs in good repair and watch for cracks in the foundation. Keep bathroom and kitchen fixtures in good repair. If you have a mold problem or suspect one, contact Flood and Mold NJ for an inspection and a free estimate.