Mold is a homeowner’s nightmare. It’s more than ugly and unpleasant. It’s hazardous to the health of your family and your home. Unfortunately, mold spores don’t require much encouragement to settle down and colonize a location. When the circumstances are right, a mold infestation can develop in as little as 48 hours.
Mold is a naturally occurring fungus that is present in practically every environment. Microscopic mold spores float in the air, and they can easily enter your home via doors, windows or your heating and cooling system. Spores can also be carried inside on your hair, clothing or shoes or on your pet’s fur. The problems start when these spores encounter sufficient moisture or humidity and begin to colonize an area of your home.
Why is a mold infestation so problematic? For starters, it can make people ill. It’s been linked to asthma, allergies, sinusitis and various respiratory issues. Mold exposure can also trigger headaches, dizziness, eye irritation, skin irritation, sore throats, sudden fatigue and even depression. Sadly, you don’t have to come into direct contact with mold to get sick; airborne particles too small to be seen can cause a reaction in sensitive individuals.
Mold can also cause physical damage. That’s because this fungus literally feeds itself by destroying the items it grows on. It secretes special enzymes that break the materials down into substances it can absorb. Mold does have its preferences, but it isn’t especially picky. It can easily thrive on wood, drywall, paper products, fabric, carpet, paint, upholstery and ceiling tiles. It can even grow in dust.
To grow, mold needs only moisture, warmth and a food source, and all its requirements are readily available in modern homes. This is especially true in homes that have recently dealt with a leak, major spill or flood. Sometime, mold grows in plain sight. However, it can also grow in hidden spaces. How can you tell if you have a mold problem? Signs that indicate a possible mold infestation include:
If mold is present, it’s best to bring in a skilled professional to deal with the problem. Without the proper equipment and techniques, attempts to eradicate mold can actually spread it, making the problem worse.
At Flood and Mold NJ, we treat mold with the seriousness it deserves. Certified and insured, we use methods that meet the standards set by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification and the Restoration Industry Association. Our dedicated team of mold and remediation experts uses state-of-the-art technology and the professional-grade equipment to ensure excellent results.
If you’d like to keep your home free of mold, count on Flood and Mold NJ. A family-owned and -operated flood restoration and mold remediation company serving homes and businesses in New Jersey’s Monmouth and Ocean counties since 1997, we’re committed to providing fantastic service to our customers. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.