Does Bleach Kill Mold?

Mold – it’s a serious topic for any homeowner. It shows up unannounced and often spreads before anyone spots it in time. You can find mold spores almost anywhere, from in your backyard to the tiny crevices around bathroom tiles. It thrives in moist, dark places and feeds on organic material. Even clean homes produce mold when the conditions are right, such as high humidity in a room or a leaky pipe behind the wall. You might feel tempted to use bleach on mold, but there are a few reasons why you shouldn’t.

4 Reasons Why Not to Use Bleach on Mold

1. It’s a toxic chemical.

Bleach is a highly toxic chemical and potentially fatal if it’s swallowed. It can cause rashes when it contacts your skin and may blind you if it splashes in your eyes. It’s always better to kill mold with nontoxic products whenever possible or to hire trained professionals to eradicate the mold completely.

2. It doesn’t kill mold on porous surfaces.

Although bleach can kill mold on some hard surfaces, it doesn’t work very well on porous surfaces like granite and wood. The mold settles deep into the surface, so you’re only killing or removing the top layer. It may look like you’re clearing away the mold, but it will stay hidden beneath the surface and rise again in the future.

3. It becomes less effective over time.

Bleach becomes less effective as it sits on a shelf. Like any product, bleach has an expiration date. Though expired bleach may kill mold, it won’t completely eliminate it. You’re better off using a mold-specific product than relying on bleach whether it’s new or past its use date.

4. It doesn’t prevent the mold from returning.

It’s best to tackle the source of the mold growth, not just the mold itself. Bleach and other harsh chemicals can remove mold from surfaces, but it will always come back if you don’t eliminate the cause. If mold keeps growing, it could indicate high moisture and other optimal conditions for growth. It’s a good idea to have a trained technician inspect the space and determine the cause if you want to eliminate mold for good.

Professional Mold Removal Services

Mold won’t go away on its own. Contact Flood and Mold NJ to schedule an inspection and to seek professional removal services. If they’re left untreated, mold spores will spread throughout an interior and damage walls and other surfaces. The mold can also contaminate the air and cause allergic reactions or illnesses in your family. Our technicians will inspect your home and eliminate the mold using safe and effective methods.

When you call Flood and Mold NJ with for help with mold, know that you are in the hands of one of the foremost experts on the topic.

Scroll to Top